Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Post #4 - Blogshare - Staplers, At Death's Door?

This is a little different, but I discovered a blog over the past week called The Lives and Deaths of Academic Library StaplersA research librarian had noticed that the library was going through staplers at an unbelievable rate, and in an effort to determine if they were just imagining things, they started logging and keeping track of the staplers.  This was really interesting, not only because I never thought that staplers could or would go missing so easily, but I can imagine this as a great way to connect with students.  It was very reminiscent to me of the lives of Flat Stanley, and how he would go places and people would take pictures of him doing amazing things.  Although the Lives... of Staplers happens in a larger university library, I can imagine that it could be a project undertaken at a school library too. It could also be expanded, and students could do research experiments, or even creative writing experiments, determining where the staplers go, what happens to them, and why it might happen.
Jason Vance, the author of Lives and Deaths, wrote about the rampant staplercide in an article in the College & Research Libraries NewsIt has also been mentioned on several blogs, including the Andersen Library Blog at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater.


Viewer Comments:

SOPHIA FUNDERBURK, 2/27/2014 9:19 PM: Funny!
I found this intriguing and I can relate to it! I never knew others experienced the same! I have one stapler that I never let the children touch. I apologize to them for my selfishness, but staplers are expensive! They always seem to get broken or no one knows where they have gone. On another note, it reminds me of Gary Paulsen's book, My Life in Dog Years. He tells his story through the dogs he has had throughout his life. I guess teachers could tell their stories through the odd materials that we find trends in missing or broken. Ha!
~Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment